Healing the wounded child

Someone posted this quote:

The wounded child inside many males is a boy who, when he first spoke his truths, was silenced by paternal sadism, by a patriarchal world that did not want him to claim his true feelings. -Bell Hooks, All About Love

The wounded child is not just inside of many males, it is inside of females who have been emotionally, physically, and often sexual abused as a way of controlling her.


I remember when I started to lose the true essence of who I am. It was when I entered school. I was labeled and targeted simply for existing. When I said things that were deemed private I was told to shut up and stop broadcasting business. Slowly but surely I was chipped away until I became a shell of myself. I wasn't always
"shy." I was beaten down into someone who never knew the right thing to say or do so I just wouldn't say or do anything for fear that someone would tell me that what I felt and wanted was wrong.

I would get asked how I was doing or what I wanted to be when I grew up and would immediately get shot down with my answer was wrong. I grew up feeling wrong. I looked wrong, I said the wrong thing, I did the wrong things.

Then I was beaten for doing the wrong things. So when I began to be molded into this insecure person I guess it made me a victim and I was molested repeatedly. Yet, because I was told to keep my mouth shut I never told. We must be careful how we raise our children. We must be careful to not kill their spirit and shape them into something that the world no longer respects.

I cried a lot as a child. I was called sensitive. My feelings were always dismissed and never validated. I learned to become hard, cold, and icy as a way to protect myself. I learned to build a wall around myself to protect myself. I have become a prisoner trapped inside of the wall that I have built around me. I am numb. I don't feel anymore. I just go through the motions. My joy was compromised. I just want to heal that wounded inner child so she knows that she is safe. Fear. Fear is what destroys our inner child. Sometimes we think we are protecting our children when we are really destroying them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goal Setting

My baby has crossed the rainbow bridge

Took a break