Snow Day Fail

We have a new mayor. She just started the beginning of the year. Coincidentally the first snow was within the first month of her new job. Well let's just say that she failed in decision making yesterday. I got up early yesterday and watched the news before heading out to see what the road conditions were like. The news kept saying that they were good. Well, the news LIED! I drove about 20 miles an hour and slipped and slid all over the street. I got as far as the end of my street before deciding that it wasn't safe enough to continue. Granted I haven't had my car winterized yet, but my tires have a LOT of tread on them, I drove slowly, and I only went about 3 blocks! Come to find out that other people did the same thing. So I tried calling my boss to tell her that I wouldn't make it. If the road weren't treated then the sidewalks probably weren't either and at that point it was almost time to start.

She gave a number to use before we left on vacation last year so I used that number. No answer straight to voicemail. Well this trick says that we have speak to her directly and that she will not accept voicemails for people calling out. On top of that she is the only one who grants leave. These are her personal policies by the way. We humor her because we have to pick and choose our battles.

So once I get back home I log into my work email and see a message where she says to call the other number and NOT to use her personal number. So I called the work number and got a strange signal that dropped me. I gave up at that point because I had tried. A few minutes later my phone rings and it was her. I told her that I wasn't coming in and she lost it. As it turned out more than half of the staff had also either called out or told her that they would be in 2 hours late.

I told her that I did not feel safe. Period. End of story. I have driven in snow for years and I refuse to put myself in a position that would either total my already elderly car or result in me being hospitalized. On the best of conditions people don't drive with caution and travel was backed up. I also just didn't feel comfortable and went with my gut feeling.

I am so tired of this wench. I am going to wait out my time before I can transfer out. Thank GOD I only have one formal observation from her in case she later decides to "punish" me for not doing what she wanted. Sorry, but safety first. If I get injured there is no one who will take care of me. I have to look out for myself. It is her job to plan for situations like this. No there wasn't a lot of snow however the roads were untreated.  Besides if you have 14 or more of your staff calling out there is obviously a problem with getting in. Don't take it out on us because the leadership made a poor decision about not giving a 2 hour delay to make sure the roads were passable.

Well, it is starting to get light outside finally. I didn't want to head out while it was still dark in case there might be black ice. I will give it another go and hopefully I don't have to face dragon lady about what happened. It really upset me and I think we are on the outs now. Shrugs, it was bound to eventually happen. When you deal with crazy they are totally irrational.

Stay tuned for the drama to unfold. Oh, and keep us in your prayers that girlfriend has an epiphany of some kind and gets a heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goal Setting

My baby has crossed the rainbow bridge

Took a break