Rediscovering routine

I realize now the importance of routine. When I lived in Brooklyn I lived a very disciplined life. Every weekend I would clean. Every Sunday I would go to church then come home and have breakfast. When I worked at night I would work out every afternoon before heading to work. I didn't have a shower in that apartment so I took a delicious bath every morning. I was at peace and accomplished a lot during that stage of my life.

When I moved to Manhattan all of my routines fell by the wayside. Every now and then I would pick up my routines again, but they always fell by the wayside.I don't think I maintained any routines after the nut that lived with me shortly moved out. When I moved back home for a year I picked up my routines again, but when I returned to New York I did not pick up new routines. The last few years I had no routines or self-discipline at all and that was when I knew I had to get out of there.

Since I have been back in D.C. I am back to having my routines. I also lived a very routine and disciplined life when I lived here before. I would work, go to class, go to the gym, go the Amish market, go to appointments, etc.

All of this is to say that I am back in my groove with building my routines. They keep my sane and content. I know that if I do my routine chores each and every week it makes it so much easier than missing a week and having to do twice as much work.

I know am back to cooking regularly and cleaning up behind myself immediately. I can keep on top of my laundry now that I have a washer and dryer in my apartment.

I just need to find a fitness regime. I will do this once classes are over.

I still haven't decided (I kind of have decided) whether I am returning to school next semester of not. I haven't even logged on to see what classes I am taking. I know I did so poorly in one class that I might not even be able to continue.

So part of my routines now include cleaning the whole apartment weekly...not just portions of it. Cooking on Sunday for the week ahead. Doing laundry twice a week (once during the week and again on the weekend.) Watering my plants on Saturday. Cleaning the fish's bowl weekly. Setting aside time to pay bills, clip coupons, and scour the sales ads. One of my favorite and most important is taking the time to take a bath at least once a week. I got into a shower mode and there is so much to be gained from sitting in a hot tub of water while candles burn. It is physical and spiritual experience. Also doing things to take care of myself, like giving myself a weekly facial.

So now that the apartment is clean (I still need to vacuum and clean the floors), my crock pot is on, and my bath tub is full I will sign off and sink into relaxation mode before heading out to get a little pampering. I love weekends! Grateful, blessed, and highly favored by God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goal Setting

My baby has crossed the rainbow bridge

Took a break