Taking it for granted
Each day is a blessing. Yes, we've heard it so much that it is Cliché now, but it is true when you think of it in the context of someone who has never had the use of their full facilities. Or, how about the person who was suddenly stricken with a disease that relegated them to a bedridden status. Or people in war torn countries who are constantly faced with death. So yeah, each day is indeed a blessing when you look at it that way.
Today was to be the day that I walked away from something that was no longer serving me. A voice in my head kept telling me, "Life is too short to be miserable." I didn't want to punk out so I was going to do it in person. Only, the other person backed out at the last minute. This person has gone from aggressive to passive-aggressive in a strange twist of fate. I honestly believe she is suffering from a form of mental illness and is not being treated for it.
In any event, I met up with the other person who was supposed to meet up with us today to open up yet ANOTHER bank account. The person who didn't show up was not happy with the one we opened up the day she cursed out the guy I went to the bank with today. I am actually happy that she didn't come with us today. Again, this guy made a mistake and forgot/neglected to bring pertinent documents and she would have lost her mind. This bank is actually more open and had she gone off in there everyone in the branch would have known!
I don't understand how people make the same mistakes repeatedly. These are relatively intelligent people who just do dumb #$@! Anyhow, the woman working with us was very patient and flexible. We managed to open the account (despite the fact that this guy procrastinated and did not close out the other account before opening the new one. That is going to bite him in the ass later.) On top of it, when we tried to call Ms. Histrionics she refused to answer the calls. Mind you, this is HER organization we are volunteering our time toward. This bank trip ate up practically my entire Sunday afternoon! I gave the guy my keys and ID card and I am walking away. Punk or no punk. We have a conference call on Tuesday, but depending on my mood I might not participate. I think I have had enough.
But, tying back into my taking life for granted message. The patient woman who was helping us at the bank said that today was supposed to be her day off and she didn't even realize it so she came in. I pointed out that the weather was beautiful and it would have been a nice day to have off. She said, "there will be plenty of nice days. The bills keep coming in so I would rather work."
This is someone in the banking industry with a limited mind-set about money. Funny thing is that the guy I was with is also a banker and he cosigned with her. Here is where I had a problem with this exchange:
a. God has not promised you that there will be a tomorrow. You are tired, overweight and run down. Your health should be your priority.
b. You work in a bank. A bank! Banks get robbed. Your life is not guaranteed working in a high risk environment.
c. How can you be so deep in debt when you work at a bank? Bills don't make themselves. You create debt.
d. From a Biblical perspective, if you are working 7 days a week and not honoring the sabbath (whatever day of the week that may be) then you worshipping money over God.
To top it off, the guy with me is a "financial expert" who has been featured in Black Enterprise magazine. I won't go into detail, but let's just say that his own finances are not in order. You can wear a nice suit, sport a nice smile, and offer daily affirmations about money and success, but if you have limited beliefs about money then how can you truly help others?
I'd much rather bask in the glory of God's beauty that He has gifted to us than worship the money GOD. Who knows if she will see another day or if our life will change in an instant. At least if you must go then you can say you enjoyed your time here on earth. Never take life for granted.
Today was to be the day that I walked away from something that was no longer serving me. A voice in my head kept telling me, "Life is too short to be miserable." I didn't want to punk out so I was going to do it in person. Only, the other person backed out at the last minute. This person has gone from aggressive to passive-aggressive in a strange twist of fate. I honestly believe she is suffering from a form of mental illness and is not being treated for it.
In any event, I met up with the other person who was supposed to meet up with us today to open up yet ANOTHER bank account. The person who didn't show up was not happy with the one we opened up the day she cursed out the guy I went to the bank with today. I am actually happy that she didn't come with us today. Again, this guy made a mistake and forgot/neglected to bring pertinent documents and she would have lost her mind. This bank is actually more open and had she gone off in there everyone in the branch would have known!
I don't understand how people make the same mistakes repeatedly. These are relatively intelligent people who just do dumb #$@! Anyhow, the woman working with us was very patient and flexible. We managed to open the account (despite the fact that this guy procrastinated and did not close out the other account before opening the new one. That is going to bite him in the ass later.) On top of it, when we tried to call Ms. Histrionics she refused to answer the calls. Mind you, this is HER organization we are volunteering our time toward. This bank trip ate up practically my entire Sunday afternoon! I gave the guy my keys and ID card and I am walking away. Punk or no punk. We have a conference call on Tuesday, but depending on my mood I might not participate. I think I have had enough.
But, tying back into my taking life for granted message. The patient woman who was helping us at the bank said that today was supposed to be her day off and she didn't even realize it so she came in. I pointed out that the weather was beautiful and it would have been a nice day to have off. She said, "there will be plenty of nice days. The bills keep coming in so I would rather work."
This is someone in the banking industry with a limited mind-set about money. Funny thing is that the guy I was with is also a banker and he cosigned with her. Here is where I had a problem with this exchange:
a. God has not promised you that there will be a tomorrow. You are tired, overweight and run down. Your health should be your priority.
b. You work in a bank. A bank! Banks get robbed. Your life is not guaranteed working in a high risk environment.
c. How can you be so deep in debt when you work at a bank? Bills don't make themselves. You create debt.
d. From a Biblical perspective, if you are working 7 days a week and not honoring the sabbath (whatever day of the week that may be) then you worshipping money over God.
Luke 16:13 (NIV) "No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."
Mat 6:24 (NIV) "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."
Prov 23:4-5 (NIV) Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint. Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle.
Ecc 5:10-15 (NIV) Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless. As goods increase, so do those who consume them. And what benefit are they to the owner except to feast his eyes on them? The sleep of a laborer is sweet, whether he eats little or much, but the abundance of a rich man permits him no sleep. I have seen a grievous evil under the sun: wealth hoarded to the harm of its owner, or wealth lost through some misfortune... Naked a man comes from his mothers womb, and as he comes, so he departs...
1 Tim 6:10-12 (NIV) For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves through with many griefs. But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.
All of that is to say that it made me feel sad to see this woman stuck in this mindset. It also goes to show how different I am from most people.
To top it off, the guy with me is a "financial expert" who has been featured in Black Enterprise magazine. I won't go into detail, but let's just say that his own finances are not in order. You can wear a nice suit, sport a nice smile, and offer daily affirmations about money and success, but if you have limited beliefs about money then how can you truly help others?
I'd much rather bask in the glory of God's beauty that He has gifted to us than worship the money GOD. Who knows if she will see another day or if our life will change in an instant. At least if you must go then you can say you enjoyed your time here on earth. Never take life for granted.
Matthew 24:36
“But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only.
Comments
Post a Comment