Remember to be kind and get out of your own way!
PART 1 - MISDIRECTED ANGER
Today was a lesson in human interaction. I spent the morning in the bank with the board that I just can't shake, setting up a new account. Everyone was in good spirits except the Queen. She came in with an attitude which we later found out was because we were told the wrong time to arrive. Well, I arrived early and didn't see anyone so if anyone should have had an attitude it should have been me. I just made the best of it by getting some breakfast then coming back an hour later.
So, we begin to set things up and all kinds of questions and obstacles begin to crop up. By then she was completely frustrated and flew into a verbal assault on one of the members. It was so uncomfortable and pretty much sucked the air out of the room. We were already squeezed into a space that was not designed to fit us in the first place.
Anyone who has read this blog for any amount of time knows by now that I do not like like conflict. Yet, I continue to be surrounded by people, particularly Alpha Females, who constantly create tension and use blame as an intimidation tactic. I felt bad about what was happening, but I wanted to just move on and I definitely didn't want to be the target of her wrath.
I have seen and heard her flip out of people before and it seems to be her M.O. I think it is sad that she feels that she has to deal with people in that manner. I heard a lot of projecting happening as well. She accused him of being condescending and we were all being so dramatic. For some reason she really felt threatened and I don't know why. To top it off, she didn't see anything wrong with what she did.
I think part of it is just the baggage and history that comes along with what she is doing and it is the very reason she has to constantly start over. We often get in our own way and trip over our own baggage. Every time she speaks to someone else in that manner, she alienates herself. It is so contrary to the type of work that she does.
When we stop judging others, and labeling them. When we stop projecting our 'stuff' onto them, then we give ourselves a chance to live freely. We allow people in and stop harboring emotions and frustrations. We never did really get to the bottom of what was eating her because she kept denying it. How do you work with someone like that?
PART 2 - SACRIFICE
So, the second part of this story is the fact that back in December we were all supposed to donate a nice chunk of money to the organization that we are on the board of...in lieu of the fundraising that never came to past that year.
Well, I sacrificed a trip home for the holidays, despite being miserably homesick, because I thought everyone would follow through with the requirement. For the past 2 months I have had this chunk of money sitting around untouched in my bank account waiting for someone to deposit my check. Come to find out that I was the only one who gave the money! I probably make the least amount of money of everyone, but I sacrificed and gave the money. Never again will I sacrifice family for another obligation. Lesson learned!
Today was a lesson in human interaction. I spent the morning in the bank with the board that I just can't shake, setting up a new account. Everyone was in good spirits except the Queen. She came in with an attitude which we later found out was because we were told the wrong time to arrive. Well, I arrived early and didn't see anyone so if anyone should have had an attitude it should have been me. I just made the best of it by getting some breakfast then coming back an hour later.
So, we begin to set things up and all kinds of questions and obstacles begin to crop up. By then she was completely frustrated and flew into a verbal assault on one of the members. It was so uncomfortable and pretty much sucked the air out of the room. We were already squeezed into a space that was not designed to fit us in the first place.
Anyone who has read this blog for any amount of time knows by now that I do not like like conflict. Yet, I continue to be surrounded by people, particularly Alpha Females, who constantly create tension and use blame as an intimidation tactic. I felt bad about what was happening, but I wanted to just move on and I definitely didn't want to be the target of her wrath.
I have seen and heard her flip out of people before and it seems to be her M.O. I think it is sad that she feels that she has to deal with people in that manner. I heard a lot of projecting happening as well. She accused him of being condescending and we were all being so dramatic. For some reason she really felt threatened and I don't know why. To top it off, she didn't see anything wrong with what she did.
I think part of it is just the baggage and history that comes along with what she is doing and it is the very reason she has to constantly start over. We often get in our own way and trip over our own baggage. Every time she speaks to someone else in that manner, she alienates herself. It is so contrary to the type of work that she does.
When we stop judging others, and labeling them. When we stop projecting our 'stuff' onto them, then we give ourselves a chance to live freely. We allow people in and stop harboring emotions and frustrations. We never did really get to the bottom of what was eating her because she kept denying it. How do you work with someone like that?
PART 2 - SACRIFICE
So, the second part of this story is the fact that back in December we were all supposed to donate a nice chunk of money to the organization that we are on the board of...in lieu of the fundraising that never came to past that year.
Well, I sacrificed a trip home for the holidays, despite being miserably homesick, because I thought everyone would follow through with the requirement. For the past 2 months I have had this chunk of money sitting around untouched in my bank account waiting for someone to deposit my check. Come to find out that I was the only one who gave the money! I probably make the least amount of money of everyone, but I sacrificed and gave the money. Never again will I sacrifice family for another obligation. Lesson learned!

Comments
Post a Comment