Two Rs and a W

I've been quiet. Well, not really, but sort of. You see, despite the devastation that some faced during Hurricane Sandy we were spared up this way. Yet, we had the entire week off from work as the city tried to get transportation back on track (excuse the pun).

So, I have spent this week resting, reflecting, and writing. Considering how each day for the past two months has been a daily deluge of putting out fires, it was a well deserved though unexpected vacation.

This isn't to take away from those who have lost their possession and in some cases family members, but this rest was very much needed as we prepare to head into the chaos that is the holiday season. I know some will judge me, but I can't feel guilty about needing to take a break from the daily drama and struggle that is my life. I also can't feel guilty for saying enough is enough when it comes to the constant image of suffering that is being broadcast on every station. I refuse to allow myself to be so saddled down with loss that I can't see the blessing.

And for some, like the poor mother who lost her two sons, there is no blessing. There is only grief that will last a lifetime. Yet for others there is a blessing if you will acknowledge the fact that you were left with your life and your family and that is all that should matter. You can always rebuild a house, acquire another car and clothes. Everything that was lost is replaceable. Your memories are not in a photo album, but in your mind. You are still here. You are still standing. There is a blessing in that. You get an opportunity to start fresh whereas others do not.

I am reading a book called 40 Days to a Joy-Filled Life that reminds us that we need to focus on our blessings and not our losses. I have suffered loss. I know that losing a possession is nothing like losing a loved one. You can always replace your possessions, but your loved ones are gone for good.
Take the blessing and praise God for it. There is life after devastation. God has shown us that repeatedly. We are overcomers and we will not be defeated! Grieve for what was lost and then prepare to rebuild. We have a second chance. We have an opportunity to move on.

Stay blessed and remember to count your blessing, not your losses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goal Setting

My baby has crossed the rainbow bridge

Took a break