Conversation Killers

There is a girl at work who I innocently made a remark to that was not critical in my opinion. As a matter of fact, often when I speak with her it is on the obligatory chit chat level, so it couldn't have been that serious. On two occasions she has retorted, "that sounds like a judgment."  The first time she said it I let is slide and wondered why she said it. I might have even asked her. The next time she said it however, I was confused and upset. I shut down the conversation at that point because that was definitely a conversation killer. I think it is interesting that she would say something like that because she wouldn't say that if I was complimenting her on her eyeshadow or $200 rain boots.  Yet, she took what I said without malice as a judgment. I would have preferred if she had inquired as to my intention rather than make a blanket statement of that sort. It then makes me the "bad person" and I have no idea why she is then judging me as this bad person. Judging is part of having wisdom. We need good judgment to get through life. If I was insulting or critical of her actions is one thing, but I didn't see myself doing that. So from now on I just say hi and bye, because Lord knows I don't want to judge her (rolling eyes).

Another day I was having a conversation with someone about wanting to get back into the gym. They exclaim, "I will NEVER pay to go to a gym when I can walk."  Then they went into a whole sermon about it. I just sat there with my mouth shut because what else is there to say?  They emphatically made their statement so that conversation was over. I had no desire to sit there and debate the virtues of the gym versus going for a walk with this person.

What are conversation killers for you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goal Setting

My baby has crossed the rainbow bridge

Took a break