Back on the Block

I returned to New York on Thursday. What should have been a 4 hour trip turned into around 7 hours. Of course when I am driving I like to lolligag, but the real issue was traffic. It was horrible trying to find a river crossing from New Jersey into New York that was less than an hour wait. I normally take the G.W. Bridge into the city, but I'd heard on the radio that there was an hour delay so I opted to take one of the tunnels instead. I am not a fan of tunnels. What I didn't know at the time was that the tunnels also had an hour wait. I would have preferred to take the bridge had I known that.

In any event I took the Lincoln tunnel in and sat, and puttered, and idled as the sun began to set over the Manhattan. The skyline was stunning, but I was ready to be home at that point. Once I was in the tunnel, we continued to sit in stop and go traffic. At this point, I began to get sick from the carbon monoxide building up from the exhaust fumes and started to have a panic attack. I haven't had a panic attack in years. Oh yeah, and my phone was dead! The charge didn't hold and I haven't yet bought a charger for the car because I only drive weekends and holidays.

I finally made it out of the tunnel and creep  my way uptown along the Westside Highway. I finally got home and of course there was no where to park. The parking Gods have been very stingy with giving up days off from alternate side parking. So, I parked on the "wrong" side of the street so I could run up and use the bathroom. Poor cat was completely traumatized by the fact that I was gone so long. Apparently she snubbed the cat sitter the entire time. Diva! She wasn't mad at me, but she seemed more hurt that I left her for that amount of time. She did fine when I left her for a weekend and the only other times I left her for more than  a weekend she was with another person full time.

I came in and got her situated since no one had looked on her the day before. Then I went back out to move the car to the "right" side of the street. Still no luck so I decided to pick up some groceries since I had cleaned out the fridge before I left. Discovered that a new shopping center has opened up near Stew Leonards, so I will definitely be checking that out as more stores open. Also, found $15 in the parking lot of Stew Leonard on the way back to the car. Promptly spent the whole $15 and a nickel at Whole Foods. #whomp!

Traffic back home wasn't bad and I eventually found a parking spot. Spent the rest of the weekend just relaxing. Intended to go out and explore with the new camera, but didn't feel like fighting the crowds. I bought all of my New Year dinner ingredients, but now that the new year is here I don't feel like cooking all of that stuff. Content eating soup. Maybe I will cook it after work tomorrow.

Of course my goal is to be more organized. I always start off on the right foot, then somewhere along the way lose my way. If I can make sure my laundry is done before the weekend, and laid out night before I go to bed it will be easier to get out of the house in the morning. If I keep the apartment clean as I go and stop letting it pile up until the weekend, I can stay on top of it. What happens is that I hit a wall and all of the common sense stuff goes by the wayside. Before I know it, I am overwhelmed. I need to break the cycle for good! Self-discipline.

So, tonight I will lay out my clothes for the week, set the coffeemaker to brew at the same time the alarm goes off and commit to getting out of the bed without hitting snooze first. I started slacking in October, but I am committed to doing better.

I feel great about the new year. She felt good coming in and I partied like a rock star! Even broke a champagne flute. It is a matter of forcing myself to do what I don't feel like doing. Self-discipline.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goal Setting

My baby has crossed the rainbow bridge

Took a break