Subway Pets (Peeves)

Funny how many of these descriptions used animal analogies. They all get on my damn nerves...the worst of the bunch are the nail clippers. Dude, do your personal grooming routine at home! I can understand having to clip an annoying hang nail but giving yourself a full manicure on the train? Don't get me started on the people who eat 8 course meals on the train. A little snack if yuor skipped lunch is okay as long as you aren't throwing the trash on the floor but the people who order a full meal from KFC then proceed to smack and chew with their mouth's opened. Ugh!

Can ya be any ruder?


They chew like cows, clip their nails and charge open seats like linebackers.

Meet the rudest of the rude subway riders.

The Daily News asked readers last week for their subway bad manners pet peeves — and our e-mail boxes filled up faster than the No. 7 train at rush hour.

There were daily horror stories about door blockers who refuse to move, and sprawlers who spread their legs far too wide, taking up more than one seat.

Even Mayor Bloomberg, who regularly rides the rails, accepted The News’ invite to sound off about those who show a total lack of decorum underground.

He trashed litterbugs.

"Why people don’t understand, that subway platform is where we all live ...," he said. "We all need the subways; we pass through it. This is our city. Why they do that, I don’t know."

One reader snapped at "GUM SNAPPERS. These people try to make as much noise as possible. They sound like cows and act like pigs." Others took aim at "pole huggers" who wrap themselves around the floor-to-ceiling poles designed to be used by many standing riders.

In typical New York fashion, Sheree McIntosh of Brooklyn answered a question with a question — or rather, many questions.

"Why is it that with both of my pregnancies I can count on both hands how many times I was offered a seat? Why must people talk and/or sing loudly on the train? Why is it okay to clip your fingernails on the train?"

Several readers clearly needed to vent.

"Where do I begin?" Kate Dudina wrote.

She then rattled off an impressive list of pet peeves, including riders who eat sunflower seeds and spit out the shells, riders who eat "smelly meals" and riders who scream instead of talk at normal levels during subway conversations.

"Clearly, this reader needs a vacation!" Dudina said of herself.

Daily News readers tell us their biggest subway pet peeves:

Door blockers!

"Those who stand right in the middle of the doorway when people are trying to get on or off. Or those who start getting on instead of letting people off first. GET OUT OF THE DAMN WAY OR YOU ARE GETTING RUN OVER WHEN I EXIT THE TRAIN."

Anonymous

Seat hogs!

"Grown men not offering seats to elderly, pregnant or to just any female rider in general, in some cases knocking old women to the ground to get a seat. What’s up with that?

Mudigha

Litterbugs!

"While riding the train I have seen passengers throw garbage on the floor for the hell of it. Excuse me, but I am not a pig and we are not your maids. Clean up after yourself. The floors are not receptacles."

Elizabeth Suarez

Sprawlers!!

"People (men and women) who sit with their legs spread ... close the legs."

Sherri

Gum chewers!!!

"What I hate are ... jerks that pop gum constantly and smack in between the pops. I have to move away from them."

Saundra Wallace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goal Setting

My baby has crossed the rainbow bridge

Took a break