Proper
Being from the other coast I was often accused of being "proper". Mainly that came from my southern cousins who claimed that I talked funny because I spoke "proper". I was raised to do things in the "proper" manner or to not bother doing them at all. And trust me when I say that my mom didn't play when it came to serious business.
Though it may seem a bit old fashioned, I was raised in a household where there were books authored by people like Emily Post and Amy Vanderbilt. Though the rules were not always followed I was at least aware of what the word etiquette meant and how to present myself in public so that I didn't fully embarrass my mom. Just recently I was offered the compliment "you are very polite". I guess that would have made my mom proud. Perhaps it is the fact that my mother was a bit older than the other mothers and she came from a different era. Now I see it as an asset whereas before it was simply fodder for teasing as a kid. Just for the record, good manners require that you make eye contact and introduce yourself in social settings as well as business settings.
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." -Maya Angelou
You are the most important person in the universe.
So is everyone else. -E.E. cummings
Though it may seem a bit old fashioned, I was raised in a household where there were books authored by people like Emily Post and Amy Vanderbilt. Though the rules were not always followed I was at least aware of what the word etiquette meant and how to present myself in public so that I didn't fully embarrass my mom. Just recently I was offered the compliment "you are very polite". I guess that would have made my mom proud. Perhaps it is the fact that my mother was a bit older than the other mothers and she came from a different era. Now I see it as an asset whereas before it was simply fodder for teasing as a kid. Just for the record, good manners require that you make eye contact and introduce yourself in social settings as well as business settings.
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." -Maya Angelou
You are the most important person in the universe.
So is everyone else. -E.E. cummings
Comments
Post a Comment