The Two Day Wrap Up

Well, it's the time of day when I have read about everything there is to read and in an unsuccessful effort to "look busy" I am here to offer a Thursday afternoon wrap up.

Wednesday afternoon/evening

Lunch consisted of a horrible (and overpriced) tuna fish sandwich that partially wound up in the trash. This left me starving by the time 4 p.m. rolled around. So, I decided to check out this place which I'd heard had an early bird special for under $10.00. Not true. Turns out the prices went up and they were charging $11.95 instead. I didn't really want to eat that much food anyway so I ordered the pumpkin ravioli which I have eaten elsewhere and was actually very delicious. Once again, another disappointment befell me and I wound up eating past, boring raviolis that would have embarrassed Chef Boyardee. I can say that they did have yummy pomegranate mojitos though.

After I'd eaten I headed south to the event I'd posted about yesterday. For some unexplained reason it never happened. My counterpart who was attending the event with me hadn't eaten yet so we went here where counterpart ordered paella and I sipped a sangria. Counterpart ordered Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes as an appetizer and they were soooooo good. Nothing like fresh mash potatoes that don't come out of a box! The paella was impressive--loaded with clams, mussels, shrimp in the shell and squid (calamar, langostino, camerones, mejillones y almejasc). Although I adore seafood and grew up on seafood gumbo, the paella was just a tad bit too fishy for my taste but it was very good.

We then walked up the block to the event venue and .... nothing. No performance had taken place and in the time that we were there still no performance. We waited and gave the performer the time for us to consume our final cocktails of the evening to arrive. I ordered a lychee martini and the counterpart ordered a ginger martini. We drank, we sat, we talked, we watched, we waited...we were disappointed and left. We walked to the subway and jumped on F train to transfer to an uptown express. At West 4th, a D train was pulling into the station so we crossed the platform to catch it. For some reason all the kooks who normally catch the A train decided that the D was the train to catch that night. We were privy to singing courtesy of some guy who invented a new version of the Harlem Shake. There were some scary characters on that train ride. That is why I am usually plugged in and tuned out when on the train.

Thursday A.M.

Speaking of being plugged in and tuned out, this morning I tuned into Anthony Hamilton and Luther Vandross. How much better can a day start off? Lord, those men are "The Truth!." Anthony performed a live concert that was broadcast on Radio One's 1xtra in the U.K. You can download it here since the file is too big for me to stream it. Anthony talks about the journey towards releasing his first record (after three failed attempts) in between the songs. Someone with less passion for music would have surely given up but he continued working towards making music and I am glad he did. Radio One is on it with their broadcasting skills and marketing. U.S. radio really needs to step their game up if they want to compete with the other sources of music available this day in age. Also, Ms. Saucy Dame Deluxe had the opportunity to see him live in Minneapolis and wrote about it on her blog. He was also here in NYC recently performing with Angie Stone but I didn't make the trek over to Brooklyn to check him out. I bet you I won't make that mistake again cause that little scruffy looking man can sang!

Related: Radio One 1Xtra Anthony Hamilton, Angie Stone and Goapele


Thursday afternoon/evening

I sat down to write out this post and using the post by email method I'd used over the course of the past couple of days low and behold...the daggone post didn't. On top of not posting, the formatting was all screwy and I couldn't find the link for the Anthony Hamilton link so I had to upload the file again.

I left at my usual time intent on spending a quiet evening at home. At the subway station I saw a jazz musician I'd met here a few weeks earlier. After he left the train at 59th Street I pulled out the 'pod and slipped into my musical journey with the help of my Sunday Playlist consisting of Robin Thicke (U Center Me), John Legend (So High), Beyonce (Wishing on a Star), Teedra Moses (Rescue Me), Anthony Hamilton (The Truth) and Toni Braxton (Long Way Home). Note to self: must learn to create radio.blogs to share my playlists.

Postscript: Thank God the heatwave broke the night before last during a crazy electric storm caused by a cold front. Don't know if I could have taken much more heat. Had my pressed powder make up looking like liquid foundation by the time I got to work each morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goal Setting

My baby has crossed the rainbow bridge

Took a break