Harlem <3 Valentine's Day
This evening everywhere I looked brown people were walking along snow covered sidewalks carrying bundles of wrapped flowers or bunches of metallic balloons. Valentine's Day made it's way up to Harlem.
I stopped into Make my Cake* where a line had formed to pick up last minute sweet treats. Proceeding down Seventh Avenue to 135th there was a florist shop filled to capacity. I have never seen either of these businesses so busy in all the time I have lived here. If there was a premier chocolate shop in Harlem, I'm sure that would have been full as well. As quickly as the area is going ultra high-end with various specialty shops and even a brand new car dealership, I wouldn't be surprised to see Go.diva or some other gourmet chocolatier creeping up to 125th Street. Harlem <3 Valentine's Day.
Speaking of chocolate, last weekend a co-worker and I wound up meeting in Times Square. She lives in Pelham and that was basically the mid-point for us to meet for dinner. She wanted to check out the He.rshey Store because she saw a feature on the Fo.od Network. The smell of chocolate overwhelms your senses as soon as you set foot inside the door. Of course my favorite chocolates are still my hometown staples. Seeing how I indulged salaciously during the holidays, I am trying to correct the errors of my ways before the summer months. Temptation should be less of an issue now that the season of love and sweets has passed and fortunately chocolate city isn't a literal term for our village in upper Manhattan.
The new "trend to watch for '06" is the emergence of Chocolate Lounges. Although we have our Chocolat Lounge uptown that specializes in chocolate cocktails we haven't yet acquired one of the boutiques that litter lower Manhattan. Stay tuned.
*Coming to a spot near you!
_____________________________________
Bonus: Speaking of sweets, Happy V. Day....enjoy!
I stopped into Make my Cake* where a line had formed to pick up last minute sweet treats. Proceeding down Seventh Avenue to 135th there was a florist shop filled to capacity. I have never seen either of these businesses so busy in all the time I have lived here. If there was a premier chocolate shop in Harlem, I'm sure that would have been full as well. As quickly as the area is going ultra high-end with various specialty shops and even a brand new car dealership, I wouldn't be surprised to see Go.diva or some other gourmet chocolatier creeping up to 125th Street. Harlem <3 Valentine's Day.
Speaking of chocolate, last weekend a co-worker and I wound up meeting in Times Square. She lives in Pelham and that was basically the mid-point for us to meet for dinner. She wanted to check out the He.rshey Store because she saw a feature on the Fo.od Network. The smell of chocolate overwhelms your senses as soon as you set foot inside the door. Of course my favorite chocolates are still my hometown staples. Seeing how I indulged salaciously during the holidays, I am trying to correct the errors of my ways before the summer months. Temptation should be less of an issue now that the season of love and sweets has passed and fortunately chocolate city isn't a literal term for our village in upper Manhattan.
The new "trend to watch for '06" is the emergence of Chocolate Lounges. Although we have our Chocolat Lounge uptown that specializes in chocolate cocktails we haven't yet acquired one of the boutiques that litter lower Manhattan. Stay tuned.
*Coming to a spot near you!
_____________________________________
Bonus: Speaking of sweets, Happy V. Day....enjoy!
Comments
Post a Comment