All Hail the Queen

I have a reunion coming up...I won't say which one but my contemporaries know which one it is. I'm signed up with Classmates.com and Reunion.com to get info. about the upcoming reunion. I received an email from a former classmate who was in my French class in high school and we also took some classes together in college. Although we weren't actually friends in high school, in college we became tight. She was always different from everyone else and basically was a loner throughout high school.

Her issue was that she was a know-it-all. She was a smart girl and could be very outspoken on topics that most people shirk from. She was never popular and frankly she didn't care that most people didn't want to get to know her better.

On the other hand, she had a brother who was basically a heart throb in the school. He was the exact opposite of her, handsome and popular. Most people didn't even know that they were related. Her dad was a city bus driver and people also knew her dad because he had a unique look.

In college, somehow she met a Haitian guy and decided that she wanted to marry him. She would travel to Haiti to see him and eventually got someone to sponsor him so they could be married. Last I heard from her they got married.

So on Sunday this sister emailed me through one of the reunion websites. I sent her my direct email address and this is a snippet of the reply message that I got: "by the way I added my title to my name. I am now Queen xxxx*".

Typically, I am good for honoring someone on what they want to be called. There was this guy from our high school French class named Jamo, who converted to Muslim in college and changed his name. It was a little weird but I tried to respect his wishes. To call my classmate from high school and college Queen is too weird though.

*xxxx replaces her actual name.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goal Setting

My baby has crossed the rainbow bridge

Took a break