Top 10 Toys of My Youth
Brought to by: Hasbro, Tyco, Mattel, Milton Bradley, Fisher-Price, Parker Bros. and James.
As the follow up to last week's post about being a kid for a day I decided to follow his lead and make a top 10 list of the toys that I really enjoyed as a kid. I present to you now another blast from the past: Berry's Top 10.
10. Black Barbie: Christie (with the townhouse and Corvette)
I never did get a black Barbie doll. I also didn't get the townhouse (with an elevator) nor the Corvette. I seem to remember that we used to go to the store and they would either always be sold out of the black versions or they would be priced more than the white dolls. Going into a toy store and seeing just as many black dolls as white dolls didn't happen when I was little girl. As far as the townhouse and Corvette, my friend had them so everytime I went to her house that is all we did for hours on end.
9. Baby Alive (watch Commercial)
I wanted a Baby Alive sooooooo badly. My (absentee) dad bought me for me and sent it. My mom wouldn't let me keep it. I was so sad. I think that was the only present my dad ever bought and I couldn't keep it. I remember crying and then I snuck it down off the top shelf of the closet a
nd played with it. I never forgot my little Baby Alive. (sniff)
8. Easy Bake Oven
Another toy that I never actually owned. But my godsister Kimberly did so everytime we went to her house, guess what was the first toy I asked to play with? (Another blogger shares her memories of the EBO.)
7. Big Wheel
Now, this was probably my favorite toy of all time! I wrote about my love for B.W. in this post.
6. Hot Wheels
My cousins were boys, so every birthday and Christmas they got new Hot Wheels from my mom. I was sooooo jealous because I also LOVED hot wheels. I was such a tomboy! But, they had the coolest cars!
5. Flip Wilson/Geraldine Doll
This doll was so cool! You could flip a dress over to make it into either Flip Wilson or his alter-ego Geraldine. There was also a string that you pulled and Geraldine would recite her one of her famous lines like "Watch it Sucker".

4. Lemon Twist
I think they make updated variations of these now that are not quite as hard and certainly not shaped like a lemon. You would put the loop attachment around your leg and skip over the lemon on the end for hours. When you got bored with that then you might put it around your wrist and swing it around trying to hit people with it. LOL! Yes, I was bad!
3. Rubik's Cube
This was a national phenomenon when it came out. It had everyone perplexed. It would keep kids quiet for hours on end! I don't think I ever did get it all lined up the way it was supposed to be.
2. The Sunshine Family
This doll set was so cute. There was a mama, daddy, little girl and a baby. It was the perfect little family. That way little girls who didn't have the ideal nuclear family could at least pretend she did with her little doll family. (sniff again)

1. Drowsy
My favorite doll ever! She was so sweet. I slept with her every night. You pulled her string and she would say "Mama, I love you" or "I wanna' a drink of water." Everyone I know had one but I loved my little Drowsy. I had the white version of this doll. Most of my little babies were of the lighter persuation but I loved them all just the same.
Honorable mention goes to the following products: Radio Flyer Wagon, Slinky, Stilts, plastic toy animals, Simon, Raggedy Ann and Andy, Etch-a-Sketch, Silly Putty, View-Master, See N Say, Big Bouncey Ball with the handle (can't remember the name of it), Charlie's Angels dolls, Speak and Spell (watch commercial with Bill Cosby), Mr. Potato Head, the following board games: Monoply, Life, Operation, Connect Four, Battleship, and Sorry, and my Rocking Horse.
Interesting links I found along the way:
Link: The Soul Train Line
Link: Flip Wilson
Link: Related toys
Link: Also Related toys
Link: Toys from the 70s
Link: Barbie
Link: HC's blast from the past
As the follow up to last week's post about being a kid for a day I decided to follow his lead and make a top 10 list of the toys that I really enjoyed as a kid. I present to you now another blast from the past: Berry's Top 10.
10. Black Barbie: Christie (with the townhouse and Corvette)I never did get a black Barbie doll. I also didn't get the townhouse (with an elevator) nor the Corvette. I seem to remember that we used to go to the store and they would either always be sold out of the black versions or they would be priced more than the white dolls. Going into a toy store and seeing just as many black dolls as white dolls didn't happen when I was little girl. As far as the townhouse and Corvette, my friend had them so everytime I went to her house that is all we did for hours on end.
9. Baby Alive (watch Commercial)
I wanted a Baby Alive sooooooo badly. My (absentee) dad bought me for me and sent it. My mom wouldn't let me keep it. I was so sad. I think that was the only present my dad ever bought and I couldn't keep it. I remember crying and then I snuck it down off the top shelf of the closet a
nd played with it. I never forgot my little Baby Alive. (sniff)8. Easy Bake Oven
Another toy that I never actually owned. But my godsister Kimberly did so everytime we went to her house, guess what was the first toy I asked to play with? (Another blogger shares her memories of the EBO.)
7. Big WheelNow, this was probably my favorite toy of all time! I wrote about my love for B.W. in this post.
6. Hot Wheels
My cousins were boys, so every birthday and Christmas they got new Hot Wheels from my mom. I was sooooo jealous because I also LOVED hot wheels. I was such a tomboy! But, they had the coolest cars!
5. Flip Wilson/Geraldine Doll
This doll was so cool! You could flip a dress over to make it into either Flip Wilson or his alter-ego Geraldine. There was also a string that you pulled and Geraldine would recite her one of her famous lines like "Watch it Sucker".

4. Lemon Twist
I think they make updated variations of these now that are not quite as hard and certainly not shaped like a lemon. You would put the loop attachment around your leg and skip over the lemon on the end for hours. When you got bored with that then you might put it around your wrist and swing it around trying to hit people with it. LOL! Yes, I was bad!
3. Rubik's Cube
This was a national phenomenon when it came out. It had everyone perplexed. It would keep kids quiet for hours on end! I don't think I ever did get it all lined up the way it was supposed to be.
2. The Sunshine Family
This doll set was so cute. There was a mama, daddy, little girl and a baby. It was the perfect little family. That way little girls who didn't have the ideal nuclear family could at least pretend she did with her little doll family. (sniff again)

1. Drowsy
My favorite doll ever! She was so sweet. I slept with her every night. You pulled her string and she would say "Mama, I love you" or "I wanna' a drink of water." Everyone I know had one but I loved my little Drowsy. I had the white version of this doll. Most of my little babies were of the lighter persuation but I loved them all just the same.
Honorable mention goes to the following products: Radio Flyer Wagon, Slinky, Stilts, plastic toy animals, Simon, Raggedy Ann and Andy, Etch-a-Sketch, Silly Putty, View-Master, See N Say, Big Bouncey Ball with the handle (can't remember the name of it), Charlie's Angels dolls, Speak and Spell (watch commercial with Bill Cosby), Mr. Potato Head, the following board games: Monoply, Life, Operation, Connect Four, Battleship, and Sorry, and my Rocking Horse.
Interesting links I found along the way:
Link: The Soul Train Line
Link: Flip Wilson
Link: Related toys
Link: Also Related toys
Link: Toys from the 70s
Link: Barbie
Link: HC's blast from the past
Comments
Post a Comment