Self-deprecation

Make It Affirmative

Unfortunately I didn't remember to include the source of the following. For some reason when I found it I thought it might be something to add to the blog. I think because I have a friend who is notorious for putting herself down and engaging in "negative self-talk". It seems relatively harmless but after a while it takes a toll and eventually you start to believe what you are saying about yourself. Yet, it can go both ways. If you revel in positivity it will embrace you but you can't court both positivity and negativity because eventually one will cancel the other out. So why not make it affirmative?


Affirmations are positive statements that you can make about yourself that make you feel better about yourself. They describe ways you would like to feel about yourself all the time. They may not, however, describe how you feel right now. The following examples of affirmations will help you in making your own list:

  • I feel good about myself
  • I take good care of myself. I eat right, get plenty of exercise, do things I enjoy, get good health care, and attend to my personal needs.
  • I spend my time with people who are nice to me and make me feel good about myself
  • I am a good person
  • I deserve to be alive
  • Many people like me

Make a list of your own affirmations. Keep this list in a handy place, like your pocket or purse. You may want to make copies of your list so you can have them in several different places of easy access. Read the affirmations over and over to yourself aloud whenever you can. Share them with others when you feel like it. Write them down from time to time. As you do this, the affirmations tend to gradually become true for you. You gradually come to feel better and better about yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goal Setting

My baby has crossed the rainbow bridge

Took a break