Deja Vu

You Should Learn Spanish

For you, learning a language is about career advancement and communication.
Knowing Spanish will bring you tons of possiblities for jobs and travel. Bárbaro!
What Language Should You Learn?

Those who used to read my old blog know that around this time last year I attempted to learn Spanish - quite unsuccessfully if your remember. My instructor sucked ass was muy incompetente. I walked out that class every week feeling down and drained. He had me convinced that I needed to be in a special ed remedial Spanish course. I was an excellent French student in high school so I couldn't understand why it was so difficult for me to pick up Spanish since the two languages are somewhat similar.

It became quite crystal clear how much of an ass my instructor from last year was now that I am taking the course with a fabulous instructor who actually knows how to teach the subject to beginners. Someone must have left that part out of jackasses job description. That man had me so turned off from Spanish that I was ready to completely give up and accept my fate of speaking only one language for the rest of my life. The fact that I need six credits in a foreign language hangs over my head in order to become fully certified was the only thing that forced me to give it another try and subject myself to further humiliation. Since a cohort had success with the classes offered through our union, I decided to go that route this time with the last $500 left from my Ameri.Corps grant. So far, so good. This instructor is really taking her time. I'm starting to feel like I might actually do well this time around.

I would love to be able to learn Spanish, French and Japanese. I wish the U.S. were more like other countries who require all students to learn two to three additional languages over the course of their schooling. If I ever raise children of my own, I want them to learn an additional language from the time they can speak. My co-worker's parents were French speaking and they forced her to become fluent in the language. Although America is the melting pot and the American Dream is for everyone to assimilate, the reality is that people in this country speak many different languages so the more knowledgable you are the more you have to offer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goal Setting

My baby has crossed the rainbow bridge

Took a break