Hair braid mess

Anyone who has ever passed through Harlem, no matter how briefly, can attest to the perils of walking along 125th with the slightest hint of nap in your kitchen. You are assulted by every African woman within two feet of you with the question...."Hair braid, miss? I give you good price." Ah, the sounds of summer in Harlem.

Fortunately I have a braider who I have used for about least five years now. She is an excellent braider recommended by my model friend, Angela, and I ALWAYS get compliments on the braids that she does. She is probably the best braider in her little spot on 125th. She is professional, hardworking and courteous. She also gives me "good price". Over the years though her little spot has gone down the tubes. When I first went there it wasn't fancy but at least they kept it clean. Then the women started having babies like field mice and pretty soon I couldn't tell if the spot was a hair braiding shop or a day care. They have more kids running around that place than the law should allow.

That brings up topic two...hygiene. Although the lady who does my hair is relatively (and I use that term loosely) clean [note, I bring my own tools since I have yet to see a bottle of clorox, pine-sol or any type of sanitizer for that matter] her cohorts apparently don't pay attention to the hair braiding code of conduct that most Americans prescribe to. That would include the following:

  • Wash your damn hands! Don't sneeze, cough, eat, change your baby's diaper, use the bathroom, pick up trash, or finish a head and then think that you should be putting your dirty hands into my clean head.
  • Please, please, please...sanitize all combs prior to placing them into my clean head.
  • Please keep at least one bottle of the following cleaning products in my view at all times: clorox bleach, antibacterial soap, or Lysol disinfectant.
  • Rats, roaches and other uninvited "pests" should be kept hidden away until all customers have left the premises.
  • And for goodness sake, please sweep up the dirty, nasty hair off the floor before starting your next client.

I don't ask for much, yet and still it seems to be a struggle for our talented sisters from the other continent to adhere to these requests. Alas, I have had about enough of my trusty braider and am in search of another unless she moves into a more respectable establishment. Her talents are being wasted in the place where she is now.

*Photo credit: Donald Andrew Agarrat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goal Setting

My baby has crossed the rainbow bridge

Took a break